Flexible Academic Year (Semester or Quarter System)


No Classification Information
1 Semester Classification - General Semester : 1st , 2nd Semester
- Concentration Semester : Summer, Winter
2 Number of School Days - 1st Semester (15 weeks) + Summer Concentration (6 weeks)
+ 2nd Semester (15 weeks) + Winter Concentration (6 weeks)
= 42 weeks total
- Concentration is not mandatory
3 Scholarships - our times a year
- General Semester: The Scholarship is given on the basis of academic
information of each student (Industry, Military-Academy Alliance,
Special Scholarship, etc.)
- Concentration: Concentration Scholarship (20% of tuition)
4 Graduation - Grades Viewing + Graduation Grades (over GPA 2.0)
- Regarding details according to admission class, See Q&A below
5 Temporary Absence/Reinstatement - Available only during general semester
6 Semester/Year - Promotion is available to a number of registration of general semester

1) Scholarships are awarded on a semester basis and to the student who achieved GPA 3.0 or higher in the immediately previous semester. (In case of taking concentration session for the first time, there’s no limitation on minimum grades.)

However, veterans or their children are awarded on the basis of separate criteria.


01. Flexible Academic Year sounds strange to me. Please explain about the purpose of it and its uniqueness.

Flexible Academic Year is a part of mid- and long-term master plan of SCU. As one of “smart course of study,”
it presents specialization and student-centered education in our university.
Students are able to deside the time of graduation and years of study according to their academic schedule.
For that to happen, we adopted quarter system out of the existing semester system.
Flexible Academic Year consists of general session and concentration session.
General Session is devided into 1st semester and 2nd semester while Concentration Session into summer and
winter session.
General Session starts from March and September for 15 weeks and Concentration Session begins as General
Session ends, which would be June and December for 6 weeks.
Concentration Session is optional, but General Sesison is registration base.


02. Do you feel Quarter system is suitable for students?

Yes. First, Qyarter System doesn’t mean You have to take all the four sessions in a year. It means you can take advantage of the system to tailor the curriculum into your situation and stugy goals. It may give you a bit of pressure but also give you chance of graduating early. If you take general sessions only or balance your schedule between general and concentration session, then it will help you efficient and disciplined in the learning process. Therefore, Flexible Academic Year is the optimal system which helps you work in harmony with work, study, and home.


03. How do I take advantage of Quarter System?

Here’s example

Demands Number of Courses(Credits) TOTAL Learning
1st Summer Break 2nd Winter Break
Study Year
6(18) 2(6) 1Month 6(18) 2(6) 1month 16(48)
High 3Yr
Average 6(18) 2month Break 6(18) 2month Break 12(36) Medium 4Yr
4(12) 2(6) 1Month 4(12) 2(6) 1month 16(36)
Low 4Yr

※ In case of Freshment and taking 3 credit-course only

A student who wants to graduate early can take both General Session and Concentration Session. In that case,
a freshman can end his/her years of study up to 1 year.
A student who is not easy to secure the time to study can control his/her learning pressure by taking more
classes in concentration session which also offers scholarships. It wil be a good alternative to a student who
drops due to a matter of learning pressure.


04. How long do I need for graduation? (Years of Study)

Freshmen ranges from 3, 3.5, or 4 years while transferred students ranges from 1.5 or 2 years.
In order to graduate, however, you need a minimum of GPA 2.0.
General requirements are same as before.


05. How can I apply for Concentration Session? (Enrollment)

You are responsible to register his/her own desired courses of General Session and Concentration Session
according to procedures.
Registration for Concentration Session begins after mid-term exam in General Session.
Concentration Session is mostly composed of the same courses opened in previous General Session,
and there can be other new classes only for Concentration Session. Taking Concentration Session is optional,
which is not mandatory to your graduation.
Liberal Arts Core and some Practical Exercise Course (Field Study at social welfare center, Daycare Center)
will be open in General and Concentration Session.
You can take up to 6 credits thru Concentration Session.


Course Load Limits

Full-time Student Part-time Student
Previous Credits In General Session Available Credits in Concentration Session Available Credits in Concentration session
Less than 18 Less than 6 N/A
19 Less than 5
20 Less than 4
21 Less than 3


06. How does Concentration Session work? (Course Load in Concentration Session)

Concentration Session takes only 6 weeks to cover 15 weeks of General Session study. So each week runs a
tight schedule to cover 2-3 weeks of normal study load.
There’s no mid-term exam, and the final exam is taken at the same time.


07. Any scholarships for Concentration Session? (Scholarships)

Yes. 20% of tuition will be given to all the students who registered in Concentration Session.
A scholarship is given in the first taken Concentration Session regardless of grades. From the second Concentration Session, however, a scholarship is given only when GPA of the previous Concentration Session is over 3.0.
A scholarships isn’t given to a student whose years of study are more than four years.

08. Are scholarships different from General Session to Concentration Session?

In General Session, a scholarship is given according to personal academic information of the recipients, for example, industry, military-academy alliance, special scholarship. In Concentration Session, however, a 20% discount on tuition is given in a lump.
There are scholarships only for General Session such as Special Scholarship, Trasfer Scholarship, and etc)


09. Do I have to take Leave of Absence if I do not enroll in Concentration Session?

Not necessary. It’s optional.
However, a student enrolled in Concentration Session cannot apply for Leave of Absence.


10. Please explain about the requirements for graduation.

The requirements for graduation is same. But there is a minimum requirement of GPA 2.0 for who wants early
graduation or who is admitted since 2013.


1) Requirements?

It refers to the minimum qualification to graduate, and students corresponding to any of the items listed below
can be graduated.

A. Who has enrolled in more than 6 semesters (including permitted transferred semester)
B. Who has achieved more than 140 credits
C. Who has achived a required credit per course classification (depending on the year of admission)
D. Whose cumulative GPA is over 2.0 (effective from class of 2013 and also students prior to class of 2012 who apply for Early Graduation)


2) Required Grades for Graduation?

A minimum credits for graduation is 140. A minimum credits of major, liberal arts courses, and general electives
according to admission year are as followings : Required Grades for Course Classification (unit : credits)

Credits for Liberal Arts Courses General
Core Electives
Since 2008., 42+., 4(Computer Understanding and Usage, Understanding of e-Learning Study).,
31+ No limit., 140+.,
2007 3(Computer Understanding and Usage).,
Before 2006., 35+
(42+ for social
welfare department)


3) Is graduation made automatically as soon as I am qualifed?

No. You have to apply for it in the last semester before graduation. That’s because there are some students who
postpone their graduation even after they passed the graduation test or other students who are taking a dual
degree course give it up and apply for graduation. To avoid such confusion and also calculate the exact
graduating students, graduation application has been required for a student whose cumulative credits are over
116 since the 2nd semester of 2011.

Graduation Application is consist of Graduation Application and Graduation Deferring Application. Any
graduating students are necessary to fill out application and submit it to confirm their schedule to graduate.
Therefore, there’s no exception regarding graduation application in the last semester.


4) Where can I see my status for graduation, credits, permitted transfer credits?

Student Portal -> My Page -> Personal Information -> Tab Graduation