SCU’s Applied Music Department fosters professional musicians who will play a leading role in all applied music areas, including popular music with systematic theory lessons maximizing the advantages of online lessons and practical hands-on lessons through diverse offline activities.
It offers diverse curricula from basic to in-depth lessons, ranging from theory lessons augmenting the fundamentals of music, including jazz harmonics, sight singing and ear training, score writing, and arrangement to hands-on lessons including computerized music, vocals and performance techniques of individual instruments, and research lessons by industrial sector such as musicals, video music, K-pop, and music therapy.
The department also offers a singer-songwriter course from composition to arrangement and home recording so that all students may graduate with competencies to produce their own numbers for themselves in keeping with the trend of the popular music market.
A team of professors consisting of collaboration professors Kim Hyeongseok, Korea's best producer and composer, Kim Young-Woo of Sweet Sorrow, and graduates from Berklee College of Music and best graduate schools in the USA provides high-level professional education contents through on- and off-line personal lessons and lectures.
Purposes and Objectives of Education
- To foster creative musicians who will create future societal values while leading the development of culture and art of the nation and human society.
- To foster creative musicians who will lead the new contents industry with popular and contemporary senses
- To foster field-oriented practical musicians contributing to public interest while communicating with society through culture and art
- To foster global musicians contributing to the development of culture and art contents for the world by being equipped with intelligent ability and creative skills
Career Opportunities upon Graduation
- To advance to graduate school at home and abroad
- Composition and arrangement: Composition and arrangement of pop music and music for film, drama, video, and musical theater, singer-songwriter
- Professional performer: Professional performer of vocals, piano, guitar, bass, drum, etc., and disc jockey
- Music engineer: Broadcasting engineer, theater audio director, freelancer music engineer
- Others: Music performance planner, planning company management, music critic, music teacher, music therapist